On this eve leading into a new year, I’d like to share some reflections on the activity we have experienced here in Central Oregon. This past year brought a return to economic growth after a five year struggle, and from a commercial real estate perspective, we are more than pleased with how 2013 turned out in Central Oregon. Compass Commercial celebrated many more small wins and several big wins with our clients. I’d like to think we will remember 2013 as the year when smiles returned to our faces in the brokerage community and clients were pleased with their outcomes amidst the market’s new landscape.
Here are a few of my reflections on successes from the past year at Compass Commercial:
- Our students are our future. As the exclusive real estate advisor for OSU-Cascades, Compass Commercial played a key role in making the four year OSU-Cascades University a reality. We also contributed $5,000 toward our $25,000 pledge. Go Beavs!
- Investing in our community gives our business a deeper meaning. In addition to supporting the Kids Center, Bethlehem Inn, Saving Grace, St. Charles Cancer Center, Building a Better Bend, MBSEF, EDCO and more local non-profits, Compass donated $5,000 in support of a beautiful little Sparrow Club child, Anabelle Wilson and her family.
- Satisfied clients drive the success of our business. Our brokerage team helped our clients lease and sell more property in 2013 than we have since 2007. Our property management team improved our clients’ investment properties by continuing to reduce property operating costs while increasing property net operating income. It was a great year!
- Growth is good. We grew our Compass team in order to meet the increasing needs of our clients by hiring five new commercial real estate professionals and we promoted Pat Kesgard, CCIM to partner.
- It’s nice to be recognized for your accomplishments. Compass Commercial’s regional leadership earned us statewide recognition when Oregon Business Magazine ranked us #12 on their Power Book list of Top Commercial Brokerages. Our goal is to deliver world-class service to our Central Oregon clients and it’s nice to be recognized along with national firms.
- Practicing gratitude on a daily basis gives our team on-going perspective. Our entire team at Compass Commercial wishes to thank you, our loyal clients and partners, once again for placing your trust in us to serve as your commercial real estate advisors. We take great pride in serving your needs in order to help you achieve your investment property and business goals.
- One last personal note: I have had the honor of serving as the president of Compass Commercial for the past three years. It’s been a very rewarding professional and personal journey and I am indebted to my partners and team at Compass, and at the forefront — to my clients. I look forward to working with president elect, Howard Friedman, CCIM as he navigates our future success at Compass.
With that said, look for our 2013 year end market summary and forecast which will be on its way to you within a few weeks. It’s sure to forecast for continued success in 2014.
Wishing you and your family a healthy, happy and prosperous New Year!
Darren Powderly, CCIM and the Compass Commercial Team